Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bremen, part 1

Welcome to week 2.  It's hard to imagine that we've been here for 7 days already!  We've seen and done so many wonderful things that I am in constant awe of all that these cities we're visiting have to offer.  After a bittersweet hand-off from Oldenburg to Bremen at lunch on Friday, we met Herr Ziegler who somehow managed to fit all five of us and our luggage into a van.  I think being able to pack a car really should be a skill to put on your resume, since you never know when you'll need to put many bags into small places, right?

Well, after playing 'luggage tetris' we were off to Bremen, but not without a pit-stop for a plane ride.  We drove through the schön countryside and stopped at a small airport, really not unlike the Oceana County airport where I grew up in Michigan.  After stretching out legs and admiring the windmills (seriously, they're EVERYWHERE here and I think it's so awesome!) we met Harald and were taken for a flight in his plane to see Bremen from above.
An aerial view of the outskirts of Bremen    



Talk about an incredible experience!  Now only are we in Germany meeting and seeing some of the country's best people and places (because without a doubt, Rotarians are the best of the best!), we're certainly doing so in style.  I can't say an aerial tour of Bremen was what I had expected for this trip, but having done so I'm very grateful for Herr Ziegler and the others from the Bremen club for having planned such a thoughtful trip for us!

Saturday was a bit of an early morning, but for good reason.  We took a boat ride up the River Weser to spend the day in Bremerhaven, a port city located on the north sea.  The trip was a little over three hours, but talk about a great way to travel!  My host family, as well as Herr Ziegler and his wife were our tour guides for the day.  For me the boat ride was a nice and quiet time to do some knitting, bask in the beauty of the Northern Germany countryside, and to reflect on how grateful I am to be here on this trip. 
Me & Gretyl enjoying the boat ride
We visited two museums that day, a shipping museum and the Deutsch Auswander Haus (a museum on German immigration).  The shipyard museum was very fascinating, with a guided tour that ended up with the display of a 700 year-old ship.  Every day here I am just in awe of the history and culture that exists, especially the respect that Germans have for said history and culture.  Without a doubt I have learned more in the last 2 weeks than I could have ever imagined, and we're just getting started!  The Auswander Haus was especially exciting for me as my Great Grandfather immigrated to the USA in 1909 through Rotterdam in the Netherlands.  The museum was set up in a 'learning by doing' style, which really made it an experience I am not soon to forget.  After a short introduction we were taken in to an incredibly ominous room set up as a life-sized replica of the dock and ship with people boarding to go to the new world.  I was really struck with teh somber mood of fear and excitement all at the same time.  To be able to put myself in the shoes of my ancestors (even though he did not travel through Bremerhaven) is something I am very thankful for.  The whole museum was set up in a similar manner, where you really experience the stations, per say, that someone who was immigrating went through.  To sum it all up, it was truly an incredible day. 

For me, Sunday was one of the best days in Germany yet, as I was reunited with my sister Jeni, who I had not seen since she visited me in NH in September of 2010.
Me and my sister Jeni at the park
Because we skype often it hasn't seemed like that long, but it sure was great to be able to see her and catch up on everything that has been happening in both of our lives.  It really worked out perfectly that we had a 'day off' on Sunday which just so happens to be Jeni's day off too and she lives only an hour train-ride away in Hamburg.  She took an early train and came to my host family's home for second breakfast (which is so cool, how can you not love a country that eats my favorite meal of the day multiple times?!?) before we left for jazz in the park.  Talk about a great way to enjoy the afternoon, sitting in the park with friends drinking some alkoholfrei (a perfect way to enjoy the taste of beer at 11:30am without the guilt of drinking so early!) beer and listening to the band play.  I am really fascinated how the people here are really quite purposeful in making time to enjoy life, and not let work consume them.  Taking the time to breather, enjoy the world around me, and just bask in the moment is a German practice that I look forward to bringing back with me to the USA.  That and sparkling water... who ever thought I'd find wasser mit gas so refreshing?

Really I feel like I've been saying this a lot and will continue to do so, but I truly am honored and humbled to be a part of this GSE team representing the Manchester Rotary club from District 7870 here in Northern Germany with District 1850.  But it's getting late, and even the song on my playlist is saying 'I guess I should go to Sleep' so with that I am off.  Until next time!

~Jodi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment